Monday, November 8, 2010

Sleep! Finally!





So if you know me well, you know that I don't sleep very well at night. I have always been that way since I was a child. As a teenager, I turned my room into a cave. I covered the windows, put stickers on stereo lights, turned out every light I could, including the porch light, and called it good. My bedroom was in the basement, so it was nice and cool. So I like it chilly and dark at night. After Josh and I got married, I attempted to do the same to our bedroom. I got dark charcoal curtains, and then bought some sheets to double line them. It works fairly well. But I rarely get a good nights rest! We bought a new temper pedic mattress earlier this year, and that helped quiet a bit! I would definitely recommend one! But I still had sleeping problems.
My brother can be the same way, and for his birthday his wife gave him a "Sleep Mate" (pictured above), which is a light weight "white noise" maker. I gave it a try one night, and it helped a bit, but I think I needed to make some adjustments with the sound. One night wasn't enough to determine whether it was helpful or not. In my room growing up, I bought a little fan to make some "white noise" to help me sleep. I pulled out the fan (similar to above picture) last night to give it a try again in my bedroom. Now don't ask me why it took me so long to try this, but it helped me sleep pretty well! If you have trouble sleeping, give one of these a try, and see if it will help you too!
So... pros and cons of both:
*Sleep Mate Pros: Light weight, changeable pitches, good for travel, small (perfect for any room).
*Cons: Seemed a little too loud( but need more testing), expensive (around $50).
*Fan Pros: Has a pleasant sound, fairly lightweight, inexpensive (around $10)
*Cons: Not ideal for travel (when it's hard to get a good night's sleep!), can make the bedroom too cold because of the air circulation (especially in the winter)
I'm using the fan again tonight, and I am hoping to have better nights.... finally! I'll just grab an extra blanket if I need it. ;) Although, I am still considering the purchase of a Sleep Mate, I can see it being very helpful as well!
If you have trouble sleeping, give on of these devices a try! Let me know if it helps!

3 comments:

  1. I don't have sleeping issues most of the time but I never sleep better than when I have a humidifier running. I find the sound so relaxing and the moisture helps my sinuses from drying out at night.
    BTW, I am glad to see you back to blogging. I have enjoyed following you on here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had issues sleeping since I was a kid too. I always needed perfect conditions when trying to sleep. I'd make everyone be quiet in the house. I've never thought of having something in the room that makes noise. I'm going to try it. I'll be so excited if it works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So my brother and sister in law ended up buying me the Sleep Mate. How sweet are they to me, right? So I will be able to do some more testing on that ;). Dallas, I hope you do try this and get some better sleep! Just make sure to try it for at least a week, not just one night, because it can take a few nights to get used to the change. After that, I can almost guarantee you will get better sleep! Lisa, I am so glad you enjoy reading!

    ReplyDelete